All about fresh, flavorful food
Filling and so delicious, this hearty salad is the perfect fare to serve for lunch or a light supper. Hosting a dinner party? This colorful offering makes a great first course salad too. So versatile!
Hearty Avocado-Cashew Salad Recipe
Makes 2 servings
• 4 teaspoons flaxseed oil
• 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
• 4 ounces (5 cups, lightly packed) mixed baby greens
• 20 cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
• 1 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
• 1⁄2 Bermuda onion, chopped
• 1⁄2 cup chopped raw or roasted cashews
• 1 avocado, sliced
1. To make the dressing: Put all the ingredients in a small bowl and briskly whisk until smooth and emulsified.
2. To make the salad: Divide the greens between two large salad plates. For each serving, top with half of the tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, and cashews. Arrange the avocado slices on top in a spiral pattern. Drizzle with half of the dressing. Serve immediately.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio.