More Peas, Thank You (Harlequin, 2013) is a user-friendly guide to eating healthier and meatless. Author and blogger Sarah Matheny offers over 75 simple and delicious vegetarian recipes that are plentiful in nutrition. In this excerpt, make this Roasted Chickpea Tacos recipe for a vegetarian alternative to those tacos you love.
You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: More Peas, Thank You.
Roasted Chickpea Tacos Recipe
• 2 teaspoons chili powder
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
• 1 tablespoon lime juice
• 2 tablespoons water
• 1 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 8 corn taco shells
• shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, Almost Chipotle Guacamole, nondairy cheese (i.e., Daiya) or organic cheese, sliced black olives, minced cilantro, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, combine chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, cumin, salt, lime juice and water. Add chickpeas and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
3. Place chickpeas on a greased baking sheet.
4. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring once during cooking, or until chickpeas are slightly crispy.
5. Prepare taco shells according to package directions. Fill with chickpeas and desired toppings. Makes 8 Roasted Chickpea Tacos.
Nutrition information per serving: 120 calories, 1.5 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 450 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 0 g sugar, 4 g protein, vitamin A 0%, vitamin C 4%, calcium 6%, iron 8%. Toppings not included in analysis.
Make a double or even a triple batch of the roasted chickpeas and put them on top of salads, stuff them in pitas with all your trimmings, or just eat them by the handful as an after-school snack.
More Vegetarian Recipes
• Moroccan Chickpea Stew recipe
• Soy Ginger Soup recipe
We love tacos.
Messy, crunchy, “take a big bite and spill half of it down your face” tacos. I’d been eating roasted chickpeas for ages when it finally dawned on me that they didn’t just belong in my face. They belonged in taco shells. Or in my case, in a taco shell, then on my shirt, then in my face.
The tacos first appeared on our website in August 2010 and they’ve been one of our most popular recipes ever since. The zesty, slightly spicy chickpeas get chewy and crunchy and are totally irresistible. Reader Stephanie says, “The chickpea tacos are one of my favorite recipeas.
My eighteen-month-old sous chef eats half of the chickpea mixture out of the bowl she is mixing before they are even cooked!”
Sounds like she needs a new sous chef. I wonder if she’ll loan me her bib, though.
Reprinted with permission from More Peas, Thank You: 85+ Vegetarian Recipes for Delicious and Healthy Meals by Sarah Matheny and published by Harlequin, 2013. Buy this book from our store: More Peas, Thank You.