It is creamy but sliceable. Although it melts well, I don’t recommend heating it as you’ll destroy the beneficial cultures.
• 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
• 1 cup water, preferably filtered or unchlorinated
• 1 capsule probiotics or 1/2 teaspoon probiotic powder
• 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted but not hot
• 1 tablespoon dark miso
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
• 2 tablespoons fresh or dried chives, chopped
1. Soak cashews in water for 8 hours or overnight.
2. Blend cashews with just enough of their soaking water to create a smooth texture. Pour the blend into a glass or ceramic bowl.
3. Empty the contents of the probiotic capsule or add the probiotic powder; stir together. Cover with a cloth and allow to ferment for 8 to 12 hours, depending on taste preference. The longer it ferments, the stronger the flavor will be.
4. Blend all remaining ingredients together except chives. Once blended, gently stir in chives.
Want more information on this easy-to-grow herb? Check out All About Chives: Growing, Harvesting and Using Chives.
Adapted with permission from The Probiotic Promise by Michelle Schoffro Cook.