Black-Eyed Pea and Kale Stew Recipe
There’s something exciting about a pot of good stuff bubbling away on the stove. Especially when that “good stuff” includes powerful ingredients that provide a balanced array of minerals, protein and fiber. Adding the kale at the end of cooking ensures it’s softened enough to be enjoyed without destroying its nutrition through heat.
• 1 tablespoon coconut oil
• 2 cups white onions, diced (about 1 medium onion)
• 6 cloves garlic, minced
• 3 stalks celery, diced
• 1 red bell pepper, diced
• 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, chopped
• 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
• 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
• 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
• 3 cups vegetable broth
• 3 cups water
• 2 tablespoons wakame flakes, ground into fine pieces
• 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas
• Sea salt, to taste
• 1 head kale, stems discarded and leaves chopped
• 1/2 lemon, juiced
• Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
1. In a large pot, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add celery and bell pepper and cook a few minutes more. Stir in herbs and spices, cooking for about 30 seconds.
3. Add broth, water, wakame, black-eyed peas and a pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for 30 minutes, adding more water if needed. Taste and adjust salt if desired.
4. After soup is fully cooked through, stir in kale and keep over heat for a minute longer—just enough to wilt kale. Add lemon juice and turn off heat. Top with parsley and serve. Serves 6 to 8.
Variation: Add 1 cup diced smoked tofu when you add the black-eyed peas.
Using smoked ingredients such as chipotle powder and smoked paprika adds an impressive depth of flavor to recipes without compromising nutrition through overcooking. You can find these spices in most supermarkets or from online stores.
For more ways to incorporate nutrient-dense superfoods into your diet, read the original article, 4 Superfood Recipes.
Julie Morris is a natural food chef, writer, educator and advocate of whole, plant-based foods and superfoods for optimal health. Her recipes and nutrition tips are dedicated to making a vibrantly healthy lifestyle both easy to achieve and delicious to follow. This article was excerpted with permission from Superfood Kitchen, published in November 2012 by Sterling Epicure, an imprint of Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. Morris’ latest book, Superfood Smoothies, is being released this May by Sterling Epicure.