For more pickle recipes, pickling tips and information on water-bath processing, read the original article, Quick Homemade Pickles.
Pickled Green Beans Recipe
• 2 pounds green beans
• 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
• 8 sprigs fresh dill
• 4 teaspoons dill seed
• 4 cloves garlic, peeled
• 1 teaspoon mustard seed
• 2-1/2 cups water
• 2-1/2 cups white distilled vinegar
• 1/4 cup salt
1. Wash green beans and trim the ends. Cut any long beans so they fit (standing upright) in the pint jars.
2. Into each of 4 clean pint jars add 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, 2 sprigs dill, 1 teaspoon dill seed, 1 clove garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon mustard seed. Pack the jars with the beans in an upright position.
3. In a large stainless steel or enamel pot, combine water, vinegar, and salt. Bring to a boil. Pour boiling liquid over the beans, leaving 1/2-inch space at the top. Wipe jar rims with a damp cloth and add canning lids. Process 5 minutes in a boiling water bath for long-term storage. Any unprocessed jars must be stored in the refrigerator and used within 3 weeks. Allow flavors to develop at least 5 days before eating. Makes 4 pint jars