For more pickle recipes, pickling tips and information on water-bath processing, read the original article, Quick Homemade Pickles.
Bread and Butter Pickles Recipe
• 5 pounds 4–5 inch pickling cucumbers
• 6 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
• 1/2 cup salt
• Ice (crushed or cubed)
• 4 cups white distilled vinegar
• 4 cups sugar
• 2 tablespoons mustard seed
• 1 teaspoon celery seed
• 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
1. Wash cucumbers well. Remove 1/4 inch off the blossom end and discard. Slice the cucumbers into 1/4-inch slices. In a large bowl, combine sliced cucumber, onions, and salt. Toss gently and cover with a 2-inch layer of ice. Place in the refrigerator for 4 hours, adding ice as needed.
2. In a large stock pot, combine vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, celery seed, and turmeric. Heat until boiling and boil for 5 minutes. Drain cucumbers and onions and add them to the boiling vinegar. Bring mixture back up to a boil and turn off heat.
3. Fill clean pint jars with the cucumbers and onions, leaving a 1/2-inch space at the top of the jar. Carefully pour in the hot vinegar mixture to within 1/2 inch of the top of the jar. Run a knife along the sides to remove any air bubbles and wipe down the rims of the jars with a damp cloth. Top each jar with a canning lid and ring. For long-term storage, process the jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Any unprocessed or unsealed jars must be stored in the refrigerator (after they cool) and used within 6 weeks. Makes approximately 6 pint jars