For Red Wine Vinaigrette
• 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For Salad• 2 cups cubed (1/2-inch) butternut squash (or other winter squash)
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 head lettuce (such as butter lettuce), leaves torn
• 1 bunch lacinato (Tuscan) kale, stems removed, leaves thinly sliced
• 3 radishes, thinly sliced
• 2 tablespoons unsalted roasted pumpkin or squash seeds
• 2 tablespoons roasted sunflower seeds
1. In a small bowl, combine vinaigrette ingredients and whisk with a fork.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place squash in a baking dish, add oil and salt to taste, and toss to coat. Roast for 30 minutes, or until deep golden and caramelized. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. Place lettuce, kale, radishes and seeds in a serving bowl and toss to combine. Add squash and dressing and toss gently to coat. Serves 4 as a main course, or 8 as a side.
Find more dishes for your holiday dinner: Healthy Recipes for the Holidays.
Cook’s Tip: You can buy roasted pepitas, or pumpkin seeds, in most well-stocked grocery stores, but it’s a cinch to roast your own. Simply separate the seeds from a pumpkin or winter squash, toss them with a little salt or soy sauce, and spread them on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, or until crispy.
Adapted from Scratch: Home Cooking for Everyone Made Simple, Fun, and Totally Delicious by Maria Rodale and published by Rodale Books, 2016.