• 1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds)
• 4 cup water
• 4 cup flour
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Place chicken, breast-side up, in roasting pan and roast for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through (when juices run clear) and golden.
3. Transfer chicken from pan to a serving plate, but first tilt chicken slightly to drain juices into roasting pan. Set aside.
4. Place pan on stovetop over high heat and bring pan juices to a boil.
5. In a cup, whisk together water and flour until smooth. Add mixture to pan and stir, scraping pan bottom to release the roasted bits and flavor. Stir until thick, about
1 minute. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Carve chicken and serve with gravy. Serves 4.
Find more dishes for your holiday dinner: Healthy Recipes for the Holidays.
Cook’s Tip: Pastured birds have deep flavor, even if you add nothing. If you like, you can also salt the bird inside and out; cover it with fresh herbs; and stuff the cavity with an orange and onion (cut to fit).
Adapted from Scratch: Home Cooking for Everyone Made Simple, Fun, and Totally Delicious by Maria Rodale and published by Rodale Books, 2016.