Soupelina's Soup Cleanse (Lifelong Books, 2016) by Elina Fuhram explores the easily digestible wholesome organic soups that repair and restore the disease-fighting functions of your immune system. Not only that, soup cleansing helps you stay energized throughout the day and slim down. This recipe comes from "Easy Peas-y."
This is soup is like summer in your mouth: energizing and full of exciting fresh flavors! It’s a beautiful breakfast soup; it wakes you up and keeps you going. Peas are like baby powerhouses of nutrition, rich in protein and fiber; they contain many health protective properties, from cancer prevention (due to high amounts of coumestrol) and blood sugar regulation to even prevention of Alzheimer’s, arthritis, and osteoporosis. I also love peas for their anti-aging properties and help with erasing wrinkles. And the most unexpected benefit, peas make you feel good. Historically, peas were called the cure for the evil spirits, because of their magical ability to improve the mood. Coupled with mint, this soup becomes an addicting but healthy concoction.
• 1 tablespoon coconut oil
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 1 pound green peas
• 2 celery stalks, cubed
• 5 cups boiling filtered water
• Generous handful of mint, finely chopped
• Himalayan pink salt
1. Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat, add the onion, and saute until soft.
2. Add the peas and celery and mix everything together.
3. Add the boiling filtered water, cover, and simmer over medium-low heat for 45 minutes.
4. Stir in the mint, add salt to taste, transfer everything to a Vitamix, and puree until a smooth and light consistency. Add more previously boiling water if the soup is too thick to achieve the light, brothy texture.
5. Taste and adjust the salt to your taste.
6. Serve hot or cold.