The Greek Yogurt Cookbook (F+W Media, 2013) by Lauren Kelly provides innovative ways to enjoy Greek yogurt at every meal. This all-in-one cooking guide also offers advice for making your own yogurt at home. Start adding this superfood to your diet with the following recipe for a Creamy Vegetable Quinoa Soup.
You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: The Greek Yogurt Cookbook.
This wonderful vegetarian soup will impress even the most serious carnivores. Feel free to use whatever vegetables you have in the house.
Creamy Vegetable Quinoa Soup Recipe
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 cup diced carrot
• 1/2 cup diced celery
• 1/4 cup diced zucchini
• 1 (15.5-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
• 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
• 1 tablespoon dried parsley
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1 tablespoon dried basil
• 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
• 1 cup low-fat milk
• 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
• 3 tablespoons flour
• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, for topping
1. In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the onion and garlic, and cook over medium heat for 2–3 minutes until they soften. Add the carrot, celery, zucchini, tomatoes, and broth. Stir to combine.
2. Add parsley, thyme, and basil, and bring to a boil. Mix thoroughly, and lower the heat to a simmer. Add the quinoa.
3. In a small bowl, add the milk, Greek yogurt, and flour; stir until smooth. Pour the milk mixture into pan and cover. Mix well so everything is combined.
4. Simmer on low for 25–30 minutes until the quinoa is tender. Garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired.
More Recipes from The Greek Yogurt Cookbook
Fat: 7 g
Cholesterol: 18 mg
Carbohydrates: 22 g
Sugar: 3 g
Fiber: 5 g
Sodium: 510 mg
Protein: 10.5 g
Excerpted from The Greek Yogurt Cookbook by Lauren Kelly, CN. Copyright © 2013 F+W Media, Inc. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved. Photos courtesy of Sylvia McArdle. Purchase this book from our store: The Greek Yogurt Cookbook.