In Super Natural Every Day: Well-Loved Recipes from My Natural Foods Kitchen (Ten Speed Press, 2011), author Heidi Swanson offers 100 vegetarian recipes for every meal of the day that are quick to the table but tasty enough to linger over. The Tutti-Frutti Fruit Crumble Recipe is from Chapter 6: Treats.
Tutti-Frutti Fruit Crumble Recipe
3/4 cup spelt flour or whole wheat pastry flour
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup natural cane sugar
1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon all-natural cornstarch
1/3 cup natural cane sugar or muscovado sugar
11/2 cups raspberries
11/2 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
11/2 cups sweet cherries, pitted
1/4 cup dried currants
1/4 cup Beaujolais wine
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees with a rack in the middle of the oven. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish.
2. To make the crumble, mix together the flour, poppy seeds, oats, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Use a fork to stir in the melted butter. Divide the mixture into three portions and use your hands to form three patties. Place the patties in the bowl and freeze for at least 10 minutes, or until you’re ready to bake.
3. Make the filling by whisking together the cornstarch and sugar in a large bowl. Add the raspberries, strawberries, cherries, and currants and toss until evenly coated. Wait 3 minutes, add the Beaujolais, and toss again.
4. Transfer the filling to the prepared baking dish. Remove the topping from the freezer and crumble it over the filling, making sure you have both big and small pieces.
5. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the topping is deeply golden and the fruit juices are vigorously bubbling. Let cool a little before serving, 20 to 30 minutes. Serves 8 to 10.
Reprinted with permission from Super Natural Every Day: Well-Loved Recipes from My Natural Foods Kitchen by Heidi Swanson, copyright © 2011. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.
Read the original article, Natural Cooking with Super Natural Every Day Cookbook.