• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 yellow onion, finely diced
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
• Five 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed (or 6-1⁄2 cups cooked dry beans)
• 1-1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1-1⁄2 teaspoons smoked paprika
• 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
• Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2. Add garlic and jalapeño, and cook an additional 2 minutes.
3. Stir in drained beans, 1-1⁄4 cups water, cayenne, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Bring to a low simmer.
4. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until most liquid has absorbed and beans have become slightly creamy. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Let cool and refrigerate in an airtight container. Makes 6-1⁄2 cups.