For killer Bloody Marys, purée these smoky tomatoes and their juice to use in place of plain tomato juice.
• 1 to 2 pounds ripe tomatoes
• 2 handfuls wood chips (try apple, peach or cherry)
1. Soak wood chips in water for 30 minutes, then drain.
2. Meanwhile, score bottom of tomatoes with an X, dip them in boiling water then dunk them in ice water. This will make it easy to slip off and discard the skins. Chop peeled tomatoes into halves or quarters, discarding most of the seed mass.
3. Place tomatoes in a homemade foil packet or grill pan.
4. Prepare the grill. If using a gas grill, place wood chips in a foil packet or smoker box directly on the grill. Turn gas to high until wood begins to smoke. Reduce heat to low (about 175 to 225 degrees). If using a charcoal grill, aim for low heat. When coals are ashy, place wood chips directly on them.
5. Put tomatoes on grill rack and close the lid. Smoke tomatoes for about 20 minutes. Taste them. For more smoke flavor and aroma, keep going for another 15 to 25 minutes.
6. Store smoked tomatoes in the refrigerator or freezer in a lidded container.
For more recipes for preserving food check out our End-of-Summer Food Preservation Guide.
Subscribe to Mother Earth Living!
Welcome to Mother Earth Living, the authority on green lifestyle and design. Each issue of Mother Earth Living features advice to create naturally healthy and nontoxic homes for yourself and your loved ones. With Mother Earth Living by your side, you’ll discover all the best and latest information you want on choosing natural remedies and practicing preventive medicine; cooking with a nutritious and whole-food focus; creating a nontoxic home; and gardening for food, wellness and enjoyment. Subscribe to Mother Earth Living today to get inspired on the art of living wisely and living well.
Save Money & a Few Trees!
Pay now with a credit card and take advantage of our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. You’ll save an additional $5 and get six issues of Mother Earth Living for just $14.95! (Offer valid only in the U.S.)
Or, choose Bill Me and pay just $19.95.
Copyright 2014, All Rights Reserved | Ogden Publications, Inc., 1503 SW 42nd St., Topeka, Kansas 66609-1265
Special Interest Websites : Great Green Careers • Herbs for Health • Good Things to Eat