This is an example of “slow-cooked fast food.” The prep time is just a few minutes and the slow cooker does the rest. Choose from the dozens of high-quality, all-natural options in the prepared teriyaki sauce aisle. For more recipes for your slow-cooker, read the original article, 5 Healthy Slow-Cooker Recipes.
Slow-Cooker Chicken Teriyaki Lettuce Wraps Recipe
• 3/4 cup high-quality, low-sugar prepared teriyaki sauce
• 1/4 cup water
• 1 teaspoon ground ginger
• 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
• 1 package (12 ounces) slaw mix (or shred broccoli, carrots and cabbage)
• 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
• 1 small head red-leaf or Bibb lettuce
1. In a small bowl, whisk together teriyaki sauce, water and ginger. Lay chicken thighs in the bottom of the slow cooker and pour sauce evenly over the top. Cover and cook on high for 2 to 3 hours, or on low for 3 to 4 hours, until chicken is cooked through and very tender.
2. Shred chicken with two forks and add slaw mix. Stir to combine, cover and let cook for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in sesame seeds and serve over individual lettuce leaves. Serves 6.
Excerpted from The 150 Healthiest Slow Cooker Recipes on Earth by Jonny Bowden and Jeannette Bessinger.