Roasting nuts crisps them and deepens flavors. This simple step will improve almost any recipe that calls for nuts, and may also boost antioxidant levels in some nuts.
Simple Roasted Nuts Recipe
• 1 pound raw nuts or nut pieces
• 1 tablespoon peanut or grapeseed oil (optional)
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
• 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. For sweet-and-salty nuts, toss nuts with oil, salt and honey. Otherwise, you can roast the nuts plain. Line a baking sheet with a single layer of nuts.
2. Roast for 5 to 15 minutes, paying close attention and shaking pan once or twice during cooking.
3. Remove nuts when they have darkened noticeably and are fragrant but not burnt. They will continue to cook for a few minutes outside oven. Allow them to cool before tasting—they’ll be chewy while warm, but crisp after they’ve cooled. Makes 1 pound.
Learn more about the benefits of nuts and find more recipes in Nuts for Health.