The classic Provençal combination of eggplants, zucchini, peppers and tomatoes is given the Middle Eastern treatment in this traditional Turkish dish, also called Turlu Turlu. The dish is especially good served with lamb.
Turkish Roast Vegetables Recipe with Chickpeas
• 1 eggplant, cut into long fingers
• 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
• 2 small red onions, cut into quarters
• 2 potatoes, cubed
• 2 carrots, cut in half lengthwise
• 2 root vegetables, such as parsnip, beet or turnip, cut into chunks
• 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
• Good pinch ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon chili flakes (Aleppo chili flakes are a good choice)
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• Salt, to taste
• 2 zucchini, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
• Handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
• Handful cilantro, roughly chopped
For the Tomato Sauce:
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 onion, finely diced
• 4 cloves garlic, crushed
• One 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes
• 9 ounces cooked chickpeas or one 14-ounce can chickpeas
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 1 teaspoon honey, optional
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss all vegetables except zucchini with spices and olive oil in a large roasting pan; season with salt and place in oven. After 20 minutes, turn vegetables and roast 20 minutes more. Turn again and add zucchini for a final 10 minutes.
2. To make the sauce, heat oil in a saucepan and cook onion until soft and golden. Add garlic, stir until fragrant, then add tomatoes. Stir, add chickpeas, then season well with salt, pepper and honey if you like.
3. Combine sauce with roasted vegetables, and serve sprinkled with fresh parsley and cilantro.
Adapted from The Better Bean Cookbook by Jenny Chandler, available from our store.