Living Candida-Free (Da Capo Press, 2015), authors Ricki Heller and Andrea Nakayama discuss in detail the causes and symptoms of yeast infections from Candida albicans, as well as recipes and anticandida diet suggestions to lessen this fungus’ presence in your body. This Quick and Easy Chard and Chickpea Soup Recipe comes from the section “Soups, Sandwiches and Spreads.”
Yes, you can have home-cooked soup in a jiffy, even on a weeknight. Pair a bowl of this soup with a slice of grain-free bread and some almond butter for a full meal.
Quick and Easy Chard and Chickpea Soup Recipe
• 1 tablespoon (15 ml) virgin coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil, preferably organic
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1 bunch chard (6 to 8 leaves), stems removed and chopped, leaves, shredded (2 to 3 cups [480 to 720 ml] leaves)
• 4 cups (1 L) vegetable broth or stock (homemade or use organic with no sugar or additives)
• 3 cups (720 ml) canned diced tomatoes
• 2 cups (480 ml) cooked chickpeas, drained
• 1 teaspoon (5 ml) dried oregano
• 2 teaspoons (10 ml) dried basil, or 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh
• 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) onion salt
• 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped fresh parsley
• 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) fine sea salt, or to taste
• 1 teaspoon (5 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat and add the onion and garlic. Sauté until the onion is translucent, for about 8 minutes.
2. Add the remaining ingredients, except the lemon juice, and bring to a light boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer until all the vegetables are soft and the flavors are well combined, for about 30 minutes.
3. Add the lemon juice; stir and adjust the seasonings. Serve. May be frozen.
Get more candida-free diet tips and information in The Causes of Candida and Yeast Infection.
This excerpt has been reprinted with permission from Living Candida-Free By Ricki Heller PhD, RHN with Andrea Nakayama, CNC, CNE. published by Da Capo Press, 2015.