With kale, pomegranates and beets, this superfood-filled salad (featured on our cover) is an antioxidant superstar. Make the dressing ahead of time, then whip up the salad just before serving.
Pomegranate Kale Salad Recipe
• 1 small shallot, chopped
• Juice of 1 small tangerine
• 3 tablespoons ume plum vinegar
• 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
• 3 tablespoons pomegranate molasses (found at Mediterranean grocers)
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 2 tablespoons fresh herbs or fennel fronds
• A couple generous grinds of fresh cracked black pepper
• 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 2 medium golden beets, sliced thin
• 1 pomegranate
• 3⁄4 cup hazelnuts
• 1 bunch lacinato kale, washed, dried, torn into bite-size pieces
• 1 bunch green kale, washed, dried, torn into bite-size pieces
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 medium fennel bulb, cut into thin strips
• 1 small head radicchio, sliced into ribbons
• 2 grapefruits, peeled, segmented
1. Combine all ingredients except olive oil in blender or bowl for immersion blender.
2. With blender running, slowly add olive oil until vinaigrette has emulsified. Makes about 1 1⁄4 cups.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a small pot of boiling water, blanch beet slices for 2 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
3. Slice pomegranate in half. Hold one half cut-side-down over a bowl. Use a wooden spoon to smack the back of the pomegranate, knocking arils into bowl.
4. Place hazelnuts on a cookie sheet and bake for about 15 minutes, shaking every 5 minutes until fragrant and skins loosen.Wrap in clean dishtowel and rub skins off. Set aside.
5. To assemble salad, massage 1⁄4 cup dressing into kale and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
6. Toss fennel with 2 tablespoons of dressing and scatter over kale.
7. Arrange remaining ingredients and add additional dressing as desired.
Find more recipes using immune-boosting foods in 14 Foods That Fight Illness.
This salad, featured on our cover, was developed by Lawrence, Kansas, chef Kendra Marable. It includes several superfoods, including kale, pomegranate and beets, as well as vitamin C-rich citrus fruits.