• 1 pound sunchokes
• 2 cups rice vinegar
• 1-1⁄2 cups white sugar
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
• 1 large clove garlic, smashed
• 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne powder
1. Scrub unpeeled sunchokes and slice into pieces about 1⁄4-inch-thick. Set aside.
2. Combine remaining ingredients in a small pot and bring to a boil over medium heat and stir.
3. Pour hot liquid over sunchokes in a nonreactive bowl. Allow to cool. Transfer to a lidded jar; refrigerate for at least 2 hours, and consume within a week.
Get more recipes and advice on gardening for wintertime health in Build a Fall Garden Medicine Chest.
Reprinted with permission from The City Bakery.