What started as a casual weekly tradition at the household of author Brian Patton, resulted in several Happy Hour menus, which are now featured in The Sexy Vegan’s Happy Hour at Home (New World Library, 2013). Designed around specific themes, each menu has a unique twist but can easily be combined with other finger foods. This excerpt gives you a Nashtini Cocktail recipe to pair with dinner or snacks.
More from The Sexy Vegan's Happy Hour at Home
• Green Bean Fries recipe with Tahini Dipping Sauce
• Spinach Artichoke Dip recipe
• Cashew Ricotta recipe
Nashitini Cocktail Recipe
The nashi pear is also known as an Asian pear, Korean pear, Chinese pear, Japanese pear, or apple pear. It has a crisp, grainy texture, and the juice has a light, refreshing flavor. Do not juice the pears more than 10 minutes before making the cocktails because the juice oxidizes very quickly and you’d end up with a brown drink.
• 2 nashi pears, cored
• 6 fluid ounces (4 shots) sake
• 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
• 1 teaspoon agave nectar
• Ice cubes
1. Chill four martini glasses. To extract the pear juice, run the pears through your juicer or puree them in a food processor or blender. If using a food processor or blender, strain the juice through cheesecloth to remove the pulp. You should have about 8 fluid ounces of pear juice.
2. In a mixing glass, combine the sake, pear juice, lime juice, agave nectar, and a handful of ice cubes. Stir with a long spoon. Strain your cocktails into the chilled martini glasses.
Excerpted with permission from The Sexy Vegan’s Happy Hour at Home ©2013 by Brian Patton. Published with permission of New World Library.
Brian Patton is author of The Sexy Vegan’s Happy Hour at Home and The Sexy Vegan Cookbook. He is also executive chef for Vegin’ Out, a vegan food delivery service in Los Angeles. As the quintessential “regular dude” vegan chef, he started posting instructional cooking videos on YouTube as his witty, ukulele playing alter-ego The Sexy Vegan and quickly gained a large following. Visit him online at The Sexy Vegan.