Try this Mushroom Caviar Stuffing recipe during the holiday season.
Mushroom Caviar Stuffing Recipe
• 3 tablespoons butter, margarine, or olive oil
• 4 medium shallots, chopped
• 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
• 1 large clove garlic, crushed
• 1/2 pound mushrooms, cleaned and chopped or sliced
• 2 tablespoons dry white wine
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, tarragon, Mexican mint marigold, or sweet marjoram
• 2 tablespoons sour cream
• 1 raw egg, beaten
• 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, pine nuts or pecans
• 1/2 cup soft white bread crumbs
• 1 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Adding a little at a time, sauté shallots, onions, garlic, and mushrooms in butter or oil over high heat, being
careful not to burn. Add wine, sour cream, and seasonings, then cook until almost all liquids are evaporated. Remove from heat
and cool slightly.
2. Add beaten egg, nuts, and bread crumbs, mixing gently until well combined. Stir in parsley and season with salt and
3. Cook a tablespoon of mixture in a small greased skillet to check seasonings, and adjust as needed. This recipe can also
double as an appetizer dip or as a sauce for beef or pork. Makes about 2 cups.
Madalene Hill and Gwen Barclay of Cleveland, Texas, are veteran herb growers and cooks. Some of the recipes in this
article are adapted from their classic book, Southern Herb Growing (Fredericksburg, Texas: Shearer Publishing,
Read about cooking tips for seasonal stuffing dishes: Cooking Tips for Holiday Herb Stuffing Recipes.