This reader favorite Minty Mocha Mousse recipe is an herb-based dish perfect to use as a delicious end of meal dessert.
Minty Mocha Mousse Recipe
• 1/4 cup pearl or pot barley
• 2 cups dark chicory coffee (see below)
• 1/2 teaspoon sea minerals or sun-dried sea salt
• 3/4 cup raisins
• 2 cups apple juice
• 3 tablespoons peppermint leaves
• 2 tablespoons tahini
• 3 tablespoons arrowroot
1. Rinse barley and place in pressure cooker with chicory coffee. Soak 6 to 8 hours or overnight. Add sea minerals and raisins and pressure-cook 1 hour.
2. Bring apple juice to a boil, pour over peppermint, and steep in a covered pot 15 minutes. Strain. Puree cooked barley and raisins in blender with tahini and arrowroot, then place in saucepan with apple juice. Heat gently until mixture thickens.
3. Pour into individual dessert cups and cool. To heighten flavors, make mousse 1/2 to 1 day before serving. Serves 6.
• 1 quart water
• 4 to 6 tablespoons roasted chicory root
1. Combine water and chicory root, bring to a boil, then simmer 15 minutes or until dark. Strain. May also be made in a percolator.
— Don Matesz, Seattle, Washington
Find more recipes using fresh herbs: Kitchen Table: Favorite Reader Herb-Based Recipes.