Try this Indian Pasta Sauce recipe with your favorite pasta for a great main dish meal.
The Italians do not have a corner on tomato sauce. We received recipes for sauces of Indian, Mexican, Caribbean, and other ethnic persuasions—many quite complex and intriguing. Except perhaps for the garam masala (for which you could substitute commercial curry powder), this exotic dish could come right from your local supermarket.
Indian Pasta Sauce Recipe
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 1/2 tablespoons cuminseed, crushed
• 1 tablespoon paprika
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons fresh gingerroot, minced
• 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
• 3 1/2 cups chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
• 1 teaspoon cardamom, ground
• 1/2 tablespoon garam masala
• 1/2 cup plain yogurt
• 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional for richer sauce)
• 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Sauté cumin, paprika, garlic, gingerroot, and jalapeños in butter until golden and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, cardamom, and garam masala. Simmer gently until thickened, 30 to 60 minutes (depending on juiciness of tomatoes). Add yogurt, optional cream, and cilantro. Heat through, but do not boil. Serve over couscous or pasta.
— Leesa Townsend
Check out more delicious spaghetti sauce recipes here: The Great Spaghetti Sauce Cookoff recipes.