Italian dressing also makes an excellent marinade for vegetables and meat. It lasts weeks longer than dressings that include dairy.
Find other great alternatives for store-bought dressings in Homemade Salad Dressing Recipes.
Italian Dressing Recipe
• 2 cloves garlic, minced, or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon honey, or pinch stevia
• 2 teaspoons mustard powder or prepared Dijon mustard
• 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or 1 to 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 1 large handful fresh basil leaves, chopped, or 1 basil-oil ice cube
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or marjoram, or 1 herb ice cube, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
• 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar (or a combo)
• 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil or grapeseed oil (or a combo)
1. Combine all ingredients in a jar with a lid. Shake, shake, shake…shake some more…and enjoy. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
Variation: Italian dressing is a vinaigrette with Italian seasonings. Make a tangy Greek vinaigrette by omitting the honey, using Greek oregano in place of the herbs, and adding a tablespoon of lemon juice.