Excerpted from The Spices of My Life by Tiffany Moen, these healthful muffins contain lots of fiber and whole foods, yet are deliciously moist and delicate.
Moist High-Fiber Muffins Recipe
• 1/2 cup boiling water
• 1 cup wheat bran
• 1/2 cup oat bran
• 2 small, very ripe bananas
• 1 egg
• 1/2 cup honey
• 1/2 cup buttermilk
• 1/2 cup dates, chopped
• 1-1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
• 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1. In a 2-cup measuring cup, combine boiling water and both brans; stir and set aside.
2. In a new bowl, mash and mix bananas until they are liquefied, then add the egg, mixing well. Stir in honey, buttermilk and dates, then add water/bran mixture. Stir and let sit.
3. In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, cinnamon, cardamom and baking soda. Add dry mix to bran/banana mixture, stirring until just moistened.
4. Fill oiled muffin tins 3⁄4 full, putting 1 inch of water in any empty muffin tins. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. They are done when you press the center down a bit and it pops back up. Makes 12 muffins.
Keep your kitchen stocked and learn more about food prep in Your Freezer, Your Friend: 11 Freezer-Friendly Foods.
Adapted with permission from The Spices of My Life by Tiffany Moen.