Try this Heart-Healthy Tomato Sauce recipe with your favorite pasta for a great main dish meal.
If you like a meaty spaghetti sauce but for health or philosophical reasons must avoid animal protein, there are some wonderful alternatives. We received recipes for macrobiotic sauce with kombu, tofu-ball sauce, and other inventive variations. Doris suggests serving this one over heart-shaped pasta—“to show you care.”
Heart-Healthy Tomato Sauce Recipe
• 1/2 cup dried lentils
• 1 1/2 cups water
• 2 bay leaves, slightly crushed
• 1 1/4 cups onion, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon dried basil
• 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1/2 cup broth: vegetable, chicken, or beef
• 3 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
• 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1. Cook lentils with water and bay leaf for about 30 minutes, until lentils are soft but still hold their shape. Remove bay leaves and drain any excess water.
2. Sauté onions, garlic, and herbs in the broth. Add chopped tomatoes and tomato paste, and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or until sauce has slightly thickened. Add lentils, and simmer another 10 minutes. Serve over pasta.
— Doris H. Pelley
Check out more delicious spaghetti sauce recipes here: The Great Spaghetti Sauce Cookoff recipes.