Try this Green Tomato and Herb Sauce recipe with your favorite pasta for a great main dish meal.
Face it: some years, for some of us, the tomatoes never ripen. What to do? Eat them anyway. The coriander, sugar, and bland cheese balance the tartness of the green tomatoes in this brave recipe.
Green Tomato and Herb Sauce Recipe
• 1 tablespoon oil
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 2 teaspoons coriander seed, crushed
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 5 medium green tomatoes, chopped
• 1 cup chicken broth, preferably homemade
• 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
• 2 teaspoons winter savory, chopped
• 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
• 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
• 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
• Pinch sugar
• 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded
Sprigs of basil, winter savory, and thyme for garnish.
1. Sauté coriander in oil and butter in large saucepan until fragrant. Add garlic and onion. Cover pot and soften vegetables over low heat for a few minutes.
2. Add green tomatoes and sauté a few minutes longer, until slightly softened. Add broth, herbs, salt, and sugar. Cover and simmer about 45 minutes, until tomatoes are completely soft.
3. Process sauce in blender or food processor until smooth. Return to pan, heat to just below boiling, add cheese, and stir until cheese is melted and sauce is thick and smooth. Serve over spaghetti and garnish with fresh herb sprigs.
— Joan Saunders
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Check out more delicious spaghetti sauce recipes here: The Great Spaghetti Sauce Cookoff recipes.