Quinoa is high in fiber and protein, making it an excellent food to stabilize blood sugar. (Blood sugar fluctuations are an underlying factor in many serious health conditions, and reducing blood sugar spikes can help us maintain a healthy weight.) You can make this salad ahead of time and refrigerate it for up to three days for a quick and easy meal when you’re short on time.
• 1 cup quinoa
• Water (according to package directions, usually 1-1/2 to 2 cups
• 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
• 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
• 1/2 onion, finely chopped
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 1/2 teaspoon of unrefined sea salt
• 1 red pepper, diced
• 1/2 cucumber, diced
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1. Cook quinoa according to package instructions and allow to cool.
2. In a bowl, combine basil, oregano, onion and lemon juice. Add salt to lemon-onion mixture and set aside for 5 to 10 minutes.
3. When quinoa is cool, add red pepper, cucumber and the lemon-onion mixture. Toss to combine, and serve or refrigerate for up to three days.
Adapted with permission from the book Be Your Own Herbalist: Essential Herbs for Health, Beauty, and Cooking by Michelle Schoffro Cook, Ph.D.