Whether you are looking to eliminate gluten, dairy, grains or processed foods from your diet, paleo cooking is the perfect solution for food-allergy relief and better all-around health. Paleo Cooking from Elana's Pantry (Ten Speed Press, 2013) includes nearly 100 recipes featuring the Paleo mainstays of lean proteins and simple vegetable dishes, plus wholesome sweet treats—all free from grains, gluten and dairy, and made with natural sweeteners. The following Gluten-Free Brownie recipe is excerpted from “Cookies and Bars.”
You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry.
Gluten-Free Brownie Recipe
At last! A rich, melt-in-your-mouth, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free brownie. Serve with a scoop of coconut milk ice cream for an over-the-top treat.
• 1 cup dark chocolate chips
• 1/4 cup Spectrum all-vegetable shortening
• 1 cup coconut sugar
• 4 large eggs
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish with shortening.
2. In a medium saucepan over very low heat, melt the chocolate chips until smooth. Remove the pan from the heat, then mix in the shortening and coconut sugar. Stir in the eggs and vanilla extract until thoroughly combined. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
3. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached.
4. Let the brownies cool in the baking dish for 1 hour. Cut into 16 squares and serve. Makes 16 brownies.
More Paleo Recipes from Elana's Pantry
• Upside-Down Apple Tartlets Recipe
• Grain-Free Paleo Bread Recipe
Reprinted with permission from Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry: Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes by Elana Amsterdam (Ten Speed Press, © 2013). Buy this book from our store: Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry.