Try this supersimple, healthful dessert to help promote digestion after a rich meal. Figs contain more antioxidants and polyphenols than cherries, grapes or strawberries, and more fiber and minerals than most other fruits and vegetables.
Easy Digestive Dessert Recipe
• 1 cup dried figs, halved (preferably Black Mission figs)
• 2 tablespoons whole fennel seeds
• 1/4 cup lightly toasted almonds or cashews
• A few tablespoons whole-milk ricotta or mascarpone cheese (optional)
• Drizzle of local honey (optional)
1. Slice each fig in half lengthwise.
2. Scatter fennel seeds on a small plate, then dip each fig half into seeds.
3. Arrange fennel-seeded figs on a second plate, then press 1 or 2 almonds or cashews into each fig half. If you wish, top each fig half with a dollop of cheese and drizzle with honey. Serves 4.Find more healthful recipes in Healing Herbs and Spices in the Kitchen.