Fresh Fish by Jennifer Trainer Thompson gives everyone the chance to enjoy the savory flavors of fresh coastal fish, regardless of where they live. Thompson gives the reader 175 recipes for fish dishes as well as complimentary sides. These recipes utilize seasonal ingredients and simple techniques to bring out the natural flavors of fresh seafood.
This silky, smoky corn-and-shrimp soup has a back-of-the-mouth tingle from the chipotles, and lip heat from the cayenne, but the milk and cream balance the piquancy. With chiles you have the option of cranking up or dialing down the heat by including or discarding the seeds and membrane.
• 1 head roasted garlic
• 1-1/2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 medium yellow onion, diced
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
• 1/4 teaspoon cumin
• 2 cups milk
• 2 cups heavy cream
• 1 teaspoon chipotles in adobo, minced
• 9 large raw shrimp (5 ounces), peeled and chopped
• Chopped scallions, for garnish
1. Preheat the broiler. Squeeze out the cloves of roasted garlic, chop, and set aside.
2. Spread the corn in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and broil, shaking the sheet every few minutes, until the kernels are caramel colored, 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Heat the oil in a heavy soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until the onion is transparent, about 5 minutes. Add the salt, cayenne, coriander, cumin, and the reserved corn, and then stir in the milk. Gently bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and stir in the cream. Simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Use a slotted spoon to remove most of the solids (corn and onions) and transfer to a blender. Puree with a little of the cream mixture and then return the corn puree to the pot. Add the chipotles and shrimp, and simmer until the shrimp is cooked, about 10 minutes. Serve hot, garnished with scallions.
More from Fresh Fish:
Excerpted from Fresh Fish (c) Jennifer Trainer Thompson. Photographs by (c) Keller + Keller Photography. Used with permission of Storey Publishing.