Try more than 100 extraordinary recipes in Vegan Holiday Cooking (Ten Speed Press, 2014). Joy Pierson, Angel Ramos and Jorge Pineda, from New York’s premiere vegan restaurants, elevate plant-based food to new heights that are sure to please anyone. The following recipe for Christmas pomegranate punch is excerpted from “Menu Nine: Christmas.”
You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: Vegan Holiday Cooking.
We love to make punch for the holidays. It’s our chance to pull out the big punch bowl that just takes up space the rest of the year. This festive drink blends rum with pomegranate juice and hibiscus tea and resembles a glühwein (German mulled wine), but it is served chilled.
Christmas Pomegranate Punch Recipe
• 1 (750 ml) bottle rum
• 12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) triple sec
• 32 ounces (4 cups) pomegranate juice
• 12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) spicy red wine, such as Malbec or Shiraz
• 1/2 cup hibiscus tea leaves
• 16 ounces (2 cups) hot water
• 16 cinnamon sticks
• 2 teaspoons whole cloves
• 3 lemons, cut into wedges, to garnish
1. Combine the rum, triple sec, pomegranate juice, and wine in a punch bowl and stir.
2. Steep the hibiscus leaves in the hot water for 5 minutes. Strain the tea into a bowl, pressing the leaves until dry. Pour it into the punch bowl and stir. Put 4 of the cinnamon sticks and ½ teaspoon of the cloves in a piece of cheesecloth and tie tightly. Let it sit in the punch for about an hour, then remove.
3. Stud the lemon wedges with the remaining cloves. Pour the punch into cups or small glasses over ice. Garnish each serving with the remaining cinnamon sticks and the lemon wedges and serve.
More Recipes from Vegan Holiday Cooking
This excerpt has been reprinted with permission from Vegan Holiday Cooking from Candle Café by Joy Pierson, Angel Ramos and Jorge Pineda and published by Ten Speed Press, 2014. Purchase this book from our store: Vegan Holiday Cooking.