This recipe results in two amazing sugar-preserved treats: a delicious syrup to flavor cocktails, lemonade and iced tea; and tasty jam for toast and sandwiches.
Blackberry Lime Jam and Syrup Recipe
• 6 to 8 cups blackberries
• 3 cups sugar
• Juice of 2 limes
• 1 cup honey (optional)
1. In a bowl, toss berries in sugar. Cover and refrigerate, stirring after about an hour. Leave overnight.
2. The next day, pour contents of bowl into a strainer set over another bowl. Leave the strainer to drip for up to half an hour, stirring occasionally without pressing, to allow the syrup to drip through.
3. Add juice of one lime to syrup and stir. Refrigerate syrup to use for a month or more.
4. Pour whole fruit from the strainer into a saucepan. Add juice of remaining lime and optional honey. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until a jammy consistency is reached.
5. Let cool, then transfer to a lidded jar and refrigerate. Use within a month.
For more recipes for preserving food check out our End-of-Summer Food Preservation Guide.