Also known as black caps, black raspberries are beloved by all who know them and are believed to make superior pies and preserves. Because they’re quite rare, they can also be expensive. To help cushion the financial blow, I preserve them in truly tiny batches and consider myself lucky to have them at all. This basic jam recipe can be used for nearly any berry. Try it with red raspberries, blackberries, salmonberries or olallieberries.
• 1 pint (about 12 ounces) black raspberries
• 2/3 cup granulated sugar
• 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Prepare a boiling water bath and sterilize 2 quarter-pint jars. Place 2 lids in a small saucepan of simmering water.
2. Tumble black raspberries in a bowl and mash them with a fork. Add sugar and lemon juice. Stir to combine. Let fruit sit until sugar begins to dissolve.
3. To cook, scrape fruit into a large skillet and place over medium-high heat. Stirring regularly, bring fruit to a boil and cook until it bubbles and looks thick, 5 to 8 minutes. It’s done when you pull a spatula through the jam and it doesn’t immediately rush in to fill the space you’ve cleared.
4. Remove jam from heat and funnel into prepared jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe rims, apply lids and rings, and process jars submerged in boiling water for 10 minutes.
Looking for more information on canning and additional canning recipes? Read 3 Easy Home Canning Recipes.
Subscribe to Mother Earth Living!
Welcome to Mother Earth Living, the authority on green lifestyle and design. Each issue of Mother Earth Living features advice to create naturally healthy and nontoxic homes for yourself and your loved ones. With Mother Earth Living by your side, you’ll discover all the best and latest information you want on choosing natural remedies and practicing preventive medicine; cooking with a nutritious and whole-food focus; creating a nontoxic home; and gardening for food, wellness and enjoyment. Subscribe to Mother Earth Living today to get inspired on the art of living wisely and living well.
Save Money & a Few Trees!
Pay now with a credit card and take advantage of our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. You’ll save an additional $5 and get six issues of Mother Earth Living for just $14.95! (Offer valid only in the U.S.)
Or, choose Bill Me and pay just $19.95.
Copyright 2016, All Rights Reserved | Ogden Publications, Inc., 1503 SW 42nd St., Topeka, Kansas 66609-1265
Special Interest Websites : Good Things to Eat