This recipe combines the many health benefits of coconut oil (fat-burning, thyroid-balancing and infection-killing) and flax oil (liver-boosting, lymph-cleansing and anti-inflammatory) with the beneficial properties of basil. Serve this flavored butter on warm bread or just-cooked vegetables. It’s simple to make and keeps well in the fridge. Learn more about the uses and health benefits of basil in Growing Basil: From Harvesting to Using.
Basil Butter Recipe
• 1/2 cup organic extra virgin coconut oil
• 1/2 cup organic cold-pressed flax seed oil
• 1 large handful fresh basil, finely chopped
1. In a small saucepan over low heat, liquefy coconut oil. Immediately remove from heat and add flax seed oil, stirring until well mixed.
2. Stir in basil.
3. Pour into a glass container with a lid and refrigerate until firm. Cover.
4. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 6 months. Makes about 1 cup.
Adapted with permission from the book Weekend Wonder Detox by Michelle Schoffro Cook.