This garlicky take on the classic dressing is perfect over crisp romaine and is best prepared at least a day in advance. Feel free to experiment with a variety of fresh herbs. For more salad dressing recipes, read the article Homemade Salad Dressing Recipes.
• Zest and juice of 1 small lemon
• 1 small ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
• 3 garlic cloves, peeled
• 1 medium shallot, peeled
• 2 to 4 anchovies
• 1/2 teaspoon sugar
• 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
• 2 tablespoons each fresh parsley, tarragon, cilantro, basil
• 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/4 cup cream
• Coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Purée all ingredients except oil, cream, salt and pepper. After ingredients are mixed, slowly add oil in a stream while processing.
2. Transfer to a bowl and whisk in cream. Season with salt and pepper. Makes about 2 cups.