There’s no need to wait for your garden bulbs to mature before getting a first taste of garden-grown garlic. Curly garlic scapes from hardneck garlic varieties are increasingly common at farmers markets, too. Next spring, use them to make an early-season batch of pesto. For more garlic recipes, read the original article, Garlic Goodness: Recipes and Growing Tips.
Garlic Scape Pesto Recipe
• 15 to 20 garlic scapes, chopped
• 1/2 cup walnuts or pine nuts
• 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
• 2 to 3 cups chopped parsley (or substitute basil or arugula)
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• Juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Combine garlic scapes, nuts, Parmesan and parsley in a food processor until finely chopped.
2. With processor running, slowly add oil until desired consistency is reached.
3. Add salt, pepper and lemon juice. Process until mixed. Adjust seasonings to taste.