Serves 8 as a side dish
Use either one of the Seasoning Blends to flavor this vegetable dish, and you won’t need to reach for the salt shaker. This dish contains about 50 calories, very little fat and 278 milligrams of sodium per serving. Small servings can accompany any main course; larger portions over rice or pasta are a good vegetarian entrée.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup diagonally sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced cauliflower flowerets
- ½ cup diagonally sliced celery
- ½ cup sliced green pepper
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ¾ cup water
- 1 can bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 cup fresh or canned water-pack pineapple chunks, drained
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Seasoning Blend I or II
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Over medium-high heat, heat the oil in a wok or skillet. Add the vegetables and stir until coated and shiny. Add the water; cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the bamboo shoots and pineapple. Mix together the remaining ingredients and stir into the vegetables.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes, or until the sauce begins to thicken.
Erica Levy Klein, who lives in Princeton Junction, New Jersey, is the author of a series of low-calorie cookbooks, including Skinny Sauces, Skinny Chicken, and Skinny Spices (Chicago, Illinois: Surrey Books, 1993). The recipes in this article are adapted from the last, which includes fifty recipes for homemade blends.
Click here for the original article, Hold the Salt.