Serves 4 to 6
This recipe combines fresh seasonal greens with ripe peaches and almonds for a refreshing and tasty salad. In autumn, use persimmons in place of the peaches. To make vanilla bean vinegar, add a whole vanilla bean, sliced lengthwise, to a bottle of white or rice wine vinegar. Or, just use a bit more sherry vinegar and add a drop of pure vanilla extract.
- 1 head butter-crunch or Boston lettuce
- 1 bunch watercress and/or arugula
- 2 large or 4 small perfectly ripe peaches
- ½ tablespoon sherry or red wine vinegar
- About 1 teaspoon vanilla bean vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
cup slivered almonds, toasted and salted
- Wash lettuce leaves and spin dry. Wash cress or arugula, remove large stems and spin dry. Peel peaches and slice them into eighths.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegars and oil, and stir together with a fork. Add a pinch or two of salt and some pepper. Taste for seasoning, and adjust with vinegar, salt or pepper.
- Arrange greens on salad plates. Arrange peach slices on the greens. Stir vinaigrette and drizzle a few teaspoons over each salad. Garnish each salad with salted almonds and serve immediately.
Contributing editor Susan Belsinger of Brookeville, Maryland, cooks up an astounding array of delicious herbal recipes, articles, books and lectures.
Click here for the original article, Spanish Tapas Menu.