Serves 6 to 8
This is a sweet/tart accompaniment to mild main dishes, or a not-too-sweet dessert with slices of pound cake.
• 12 ounces dried prunes
• 6 ounces dried apricots
• 1 cup dried cranberries
• 1/2 unpeeled orange, halved and sliced thin
• 6 sprigs winter savory
• 1 to 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (to taste)
1. Simmer dried fruit and orange slices in water to cover for 30 minutes or until soft.
2. Add savory sprigs and vinegar.
3. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
4. Serve immediately or refrigerate; if the latter, let the compote come to room temperature before serving.
Click here for the main article, Vegetarian Holiday Fare.