Makes 3⁄4 cup
Toss this unusual pesto with your favorite pasta for an easy, delicious weeknight meal. We love it with vermicelli noddles and toasted almonds, shaved Parmesan and freshly ground black pepper over the top.
• ¼ cup raw almonds, toasted (see below)
• 2 large garlic cloves, peeled
• ½ cup fresh arugula leaves, packed
• ½ cup olive oil
• ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
• Salt, to taste
• Hot, cooked vermicelli noodles
• Toasted almonds, shaved Parmesan cheese and freshly ground black pepper, for garnish
1. Place almonds, garlic, arugula, olive oil, Parmesan and salt in a food processor and whirl to combine. Season with more salt, if needed.
2. Toss pesto with cooked noodles.
Note: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place almonds in a single layer in a shallow pan. Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring occasionally.
Lara Starr and Lynette Shirk’s book, The Frugal Foodie Cookbook: Waste-Not Recipes for the Wise Cook (Viva Editions), was released in September 2009.
Click here for the main article,
The Frugal Foodie: 8 Recipes