Makes 6 cups
These crispy veggies are a great alternative to chips and taste great with dips or spreads, like Aubergenius Spread.
• 1 head Tuscan or dinosaur kale, washed and cut into tortilla chip-sized pieces
• ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Place kale pieces in a bowl and drizzle with vinegar and olive oil. Turn the leaves a couple of times to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange leaves in a single layer on 2 large baking sheets. Bake until crisp, about 30 to 35 minutes, tossing halfway through cooking time and turning the heat down if they get brown before they get crisp.
3. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Lara Starr and Lynette Shirk’s book, The Frugal Foodie Cookbook: Waste-Not Recipes for the Wise Cook (Viva Editions), was released in September 2009.
Click here for the main article,
The Frugal Foodie: 8 Recipes