The flavor of toasted and ground spices will fill your kitchen when you make this masala. A blend similar to this one from South India may have inspired the British in their attempts to re-create the ultimate Indian “curry powder”.
• 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
• 2 tablespoons black mustard seeds
• 1/2 tablespoon fenugreek seeds
• 1/2 tablespoon split urad dal or yellow split peas
• 25 to 30 fresh curry leaves
• 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
• 6 to 8 whole dry chili pods
• 1/3 cup ground coriander
• 2 tablespoons ground turmeric
Toast the cumin, black mustard, and fenugreek seeds, the split dal, and the fresh curry leaves. Add the peppercorns and chili pods and grind the mixture to a fine powder. Add coriander and turmeric and mix well.
— David Merrill is managing editor of The Herb Companion and a great lover of spicy foods.
For more recipes from Beyond Curry Powder, click here.