An appetizing medley of flavors with strawberries in the lead role, this salad makes a delicious lunch on its own served with crusty bread, or a tasty side dish to dinner. BABY GREENS SALAD WITH STRAWBERRIES AND STRAWBERRY-BALSAMIC DRESSING SERVES 2 TO 4
Baby Greens Salad:
• 1 cup pine nuts
• 1/4 teaspoon sugar
• 6 cups baby greens
• 2 cups thickly sliced fresh strawberries
• 8 ounces cooked turkey bacon, broken into bite-size bits
• 1 cup feta cheese
• 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 1 tablespoon walnut oil (or any other nut oil)
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
• 1 small garlic clove, minced
• Dash of pepper
1. Coat a skillet with nonstick cooking spray and toast pine nuts over medium heat for several minutes or until just barely golden, stirring frequently. Add sugar and continue to toast for several minutes more until golden. Remove from heat; set aside.
2. Place baby greens in a large bowl. Add strawberries, bacon bits, feta and toasted pine nuts; set aside.
3. Put dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Drizzle desired amount of Strawberry-Balsamic Dressing over Baby Greens Salad and gently toss to combine.
Kris Wetherbee is a freelance writer and frequent contributor. She lives in the hills of western Oregon with her photographer husband, Rick Wetherbee. Visit her website at Rick & Kris Wetherbee.
Click here for the main article, Health Benefits of Berries.