Small gift jars of this spice mix are perfect for seasoning fish, pork, chicken, beef or sautéed leafy greens. You’ll also need this spice mix for the Moroccan Barbecue Sauce recipe.
Holiday prep tip: Assemble a triple or quadruple batch of the raw spice seeds several weeks or months ahead. Mix well, then toast and grind in batches up to a week before packing in jars and wrapping or shipping.
1/4 cup whole coriander seeds
1/4 cup whole fennel seeds
2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
1 teaspoon whole, shelled cardamom seeds
2 teaspoons whole cloves
1. Combine all ingredients in a dry, medium-size skillet over moderate heat. Stir until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Pour into a shallow bowl to cool. Store in jars or proceed.
2. In a spice-dedicated coffee grinder, finely powder toasted spices. Pour into an airtight jar. Cover and store at room temperature for up to 6 months (use sooner if possible).
To Use With Fish Or Meat:
1. Season wild Alaska salmon or wild Pacific halibut, steaks, beef roast, or pork chops with coarsely ground black pepper and sea salt. Then roll the meat in spice mix and press to liberally coat all over.
2. Let seasoned meat rest at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes, or cover loosely with parchment and refrigerate up to 4 hours.
3. Sear seasoned fish or meat in a heavy, oven-proof skillet with coconut oil, clarified butter or ghee (2 tablespoons per 1½ to 2 pounds fish or meat) until hot but not smoking. Sear 1 to 2 minutes per side, then finish in a preheated 400˚ F oven.