This thick, hearty onion soup is perfect for a chilly winter evening. Serve it with a crisp green salad and slices of whole-grain bread for a satisfying meal.
• 1 cup fresh shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
• 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
• 3 green onions, sliced
• 1 leek, thinly sliced
• 1 stalk celery, sliced
• 1 carrot, diced
• 2 tablespoons barley
cup fresh parsley, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, minced
teaspoon dried thyme
teaspoon black pepper
• Salt to taste
• 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
• 6 cups water
cup green cabbage, thinly sliced
• 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese for garnish
• 2 tablespoons sliced green onions for garnish
1. In a medium saucepan, combine all of the ingredients except the cabbage and garnishes. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
2. Add the cabbage and more water if the soup is too thick. Simmer 20 minutes longer. Adjust the seasoning.
3. Ladle into four soup bowls. Serve hot with
tablespoon parmesan cheese and green onions sprinkled on top of each serving.
—Cynthia Miville, Anchorage, Alaska