This Herbie Scrambled Eggs or Scrambled Tofu Recipe is great for breakfast, brunch or lunch. Serve with warm tortillas, Cumin-Bay Black Beans and Fall Salsa. To keep your fingers from staining yellow, wear gloves when handling curry powder. SERVES 2
• 4 large, pastured eggs OR 14 ounces low-fat tofu (one container)
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 1 to 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 1 to 2 tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos
• 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
• 1 tablespoon curry powder
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1/2 teaspoon ground fenugreek
• 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
• 1/2 teaspoon ground dill
• 2 tablespoons low-fat blue cheese crumbles OR another low-fat cheese (optional)
• Dill or oregano herbs sprigs for garnish (optional)
1. Whisk egg whites OR rinse and drain tofu; mash with fork. Set aside.
2. Sauté onion in hot oil in a medium non-stick saucepan over medium-high heat 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, Liquid Aminos, curry and other herbs and cook 1 additional minute.
3. Add egg whites or tofu. Scramble for 3 to 5 minutes; blend well with seasonings.
4. Stir in cheese crumbles. Top with fresh herbs.
Tip: Bragg Liquid Aminos, available at health food stores, is a tasty low-sodium alternative to soy sauce.
Letitia L. Star specializes in writing about healthy eating, gardening and green living topics. She is a frequent contributor to The Herb Companion.
Click here for the main article, The Best Foods to Reduce Cholesterol.