Excerpted from Growing Tasty Tropical Plants in Any Home, Anywhere, by Laurelynn G. Martin and Byron E. Martin, with permissions from Storey Publishing (c) 2010. The following excerpt can be found on Pages 123.
Greenhouse manager Rick Logee knows how to grow plants the Logee way! He manages and grows over 1,200 varieties of tropical plants, so it’s a wonder he had time to share his favorite vanilla recipe. His wife, Deb, says that using clear Jamaican rum is a must to produce the best vanilla extract. SERVES 2
• 2 extra-large dried vanilla beans, or 4 small
• 1 cup clear Jamaican rum
• 8 ounces ricotta cheese or plain yogurt
• 1 teaspoon raw sugar
• 4 to 6 ounces blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries
1. Cut beans in half lengthwise and place in a clean 8-ounce glass container with a secure lid (the beans must fit completely inside the container).
2. Add the rum and allow to soak for 2 months to make vanilla extract. When the extract is ready, combine 1/2 teaspoon of the extract with the ricotta, sugar, and fruit.
Click here for vanilla gardening tips: From Our Bookshelf: Growing Tasty Tropical Vanilla.
Click here for the main article, From Our Bookshelf: Growing Tasty Tropical Herbs.