- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
cup warm water
- 2 cups flour
teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
cup shortening or butter
cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
cup boiling water
- Crush the coriander seeds and soak in the
cup warm water for 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Sift the flour twice with soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon. Cream the shortening with the brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat well. Add
of the flour mixture and blend. Add molasses and beath until smooth. Add remaining flour mixture, beating well.
- Gradually add boiling water and the coriander seed with its spiced water. Beat until smooth. Turn into greased, square loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes, or until done. Do not overbake.
Nancy Smith writes and gardens from her home in Leavenworth County, Kansas.
Click here for the original article, Back in Thyme.