The delicate rose flavoring of this ice cream comes from several sources. Chopped pink petals add color. Candied rose petals would make a delicious garnish.
- 2 tablespoons chopped rose-scented pelargonium leaves
- 1½ cups loosely packed rose petals, white bases removed
- 1 batch French Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1–3 teaspoons rose water (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped pink rose petals, white bases removed
- Stir the chopped pelargonium leaves and the 1½ cups of rose petals into the hot prepared ice-cream base.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour (the longer it is refrigerated, the stronger the flavor will be).
- Strain the mixture and add rose water to taste if desired. Stir in the chopped rose petals.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Theresa Loe is an aerospace engineer, freelance writer and lecturer who tends her herb garden in a small Southern California coastal community. Her book, The Herbal Home Companion, is due out from Kensington, Inc., this fall.
Click here for the original article, Ice Cream Surprise.